Scheduling Early Literacy Apps
PLD Reading & Spelling Apps PLD’s Apps have a strong emphasis on alphabet and phonic sounds and phonemic awareness. (i.e. synthetic phonics) and develop reading skills across a range of words which gradually increase in complexity. They are designed to captivate children’s attention whilst they engage in quality learning and facilitate learning in entirely new […]
PLD Reading & Spelling Apps PLD’s Apps have a strong emphasis on alphabet and phonic sounds and phonemic awareness. (i.e. synthetic phonics) and develop reading
Year 1 & 2 Early Reading Screen
The Early Reading Screen presents an evidence-based alternative to whole-language reading assessments
The Year 1 & 2 Early Reading Screen is a quick single-word reading assessment. It presents words that gradually increase in length and phonic complexity.
Early Reading Screen – Foundation
Tracking the emergence of early decoding and word reading.
The Early Reading Screen – Foundation is designed to track the emergence of decoding and word reading. The screen can be used to track skill
PLD’s Whole School Literacy Plan
The document outlines how to implement PLD’s literacy, Movement and Motor and Oral Language resources during the Early Years, Foundation, Year 1 & 2 and across Years 3 to 6. Each page provides suggested time frames and implementation recommendations.
The purpose of this document is to provide an implementation outline to assist schools in scheduling the PLD programs within a broad school-based strategy. When
Spell Star 1c – ccvc and cvcc words
- $5.99 for Apple single purchases in the App Store
- $2.99 for Apple Volume Purchases of 20+ apps in the App Store
- $5.99 for Android purchases in the Google Play Store
This third app (from a set of four), has been designed for students who are working towards acquiring words with double consonants at the start of words (e.g. st, br, sm, tr) and at the end of words (e.g. mp, nt, ld, ft). CCVC stands for consonant-consonant-vowel-consonant words.
The app is most suitable for the following groups:
- Year 1 students as they embark on the journey of learning to spell along with their peers.
- Older students who are still acquiring the ability to spell with double consonants.
This one player game is designed to provide early spellers with multiple opportunities to:
- Rehearse CCVC and CVCC spelling words.
- Extend early spelling by gradually increasing the complexity of the words presented.
Particular consideration has been given to:
- Alphabet and phonic sounds (rather than letter names).
- The sounding-out of words (i.e. segmentation, a phonemic awareness skill) which is an essential foundation skills when extending spelling ability.
- An ordered sequence of phonic concepts.
HOW TO PLAY
Once the app loads, the settings (located on the bottom left-hand corner of the title page) can be accessed. Within the settings there is a choice of the level of support to be provided (audio instructions only, or instructions with pictorial and word support). Following this a character, a scene and a level will need to be selected. It is always recommended that children start at the initial level and progress through each level in the specified order.
When the game commences the instruction will be provided to spell a word. This is achieved by moving the character up and down, left and right and thereby collecting gold coins and moving towards the components of each particular word. Each round presents five words to be spelled.
The game can be repeated over and over. When appropriate the child can progress up and through the levels.
Other apps within the range include:
- Spell Star 1a (Stage 1 Target 1)
- Spell Star 1b (Stage 1 Target 2)
- Spell Star 1c (Stage 1 Target 3)
- Spell Star 1d (Stage 1 Target 4)
- Reading Race 1a (Stage 1 Target 1)
- Reading Race 1b (Stage 1 Target 2)
- Reading Race 1c (Stage 1 Target 3)
- Reading Race 1d (Stage 1 Target 4)
- Two-Player Reading Race 1a (Stage 1 Target 1)
- Two-Player Reading Race 1b (Stage 1 Target 2)
- Two-Player Reading Race 1c (Stage 1 Target 3)
- Two-Player Reading Race 1d (Stage 1 Target 4)
- Spell Star Mega Bundle (includes all four Spell Star apps)
- Reading Race Mega Bundle (all four Reading Race apps)
- Literacy and Learning Mega Bundle (includes all Reading Race and Spell Star apps)
PLD’s Alignment to the Australian National Curriculum
How does PLD align to the Australian National Curriculum?
In the attached download we have outlined where PLD applies to each year level, the content code and descriptor and the related PLD programs.
PLD’s Alignment with the Early Years Learning Framework
Books: PLD’s books may only be used by the Authorised Purchaser, and the Authorised Purchaser’s students, and only in conjunction with classes taken by the Authorised Purchaser. PLD’s books may be photocopied up to 10% per year for use only by the Authorised Purchaser. The Authorised Purchaser is defined as the original purchaser of the PLD materials.
eBooks: PLD’s eBooks may only be used by the Authorised Purchaser, and the Authorised Purchaser’s students, and only in conjunction with classes taken by the Authorised Purchaser. The Authorised Purchaser is defined as the original purchaser of the PLD eBook. Under the ‘Statutory Educational License’ the authorised purchaser can:
- View the eBook as a whole or in part
- Copy the eBook to their personal drive or locally on their device
- Display the eBook on your Interactive Whiteboard, projector or smart TV, for the purpose of teaching the students in their own classroom
- Photocopy or print up to 10% of the eBook per year, for use with the students in their classroom(s).
For copyright purposes, every page of the PLD eBooks will be stamped with the name & email address provided by the purchaser at the time of order. PLD ebooks belong solely to the purchaser and may not be shared with colleagues, parents or anyone else. PLD eBooks must not be uploaded to school servers, intranets or online platforms. Schools wishing to license PLD eBooks can contact us HERE.
School Licences: A School Licence is a multi-user subscription to a PLD resource, such as a book or program, in a digital and printable format that is accessible via the ‘My Subscription’ section of the PLD website. A School Licence is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase and can be used by an unlimited number of teachers within a school. When bought under a School Licence:
- Resources are accessible in digital, flipbook format, which teachers can access from anywhere, at any time, on any device via the PLD website.
- The resources can be used by any amount of teachers in that school.
- Multiple teachers can access the resources simultaneously.
- The resource is available to print, subject to the standard 10% per year limitation as per Australian Copyright law.
- Updated versions of resources will be automatically accessible to users with a current licence for free, ensuring all users have access to the latest versions of resources.
- Resources are stored centrally and accessed via a secure login account on the PLD website. Thus, all currently subscription resources are accessible in the one convenient place, making resources extremely easy to find. Moreso, the school license offering eradicates the frustration of lost or misplaced resources and programs which happens often with hardback books.
Additional information can be accessed via the following links:
PLD’s Copyright Policy: https://support.pld-literacy.org/en-au/article/copyright-and-terms-of-use-of-pld-literacy-15tkcer/
People who viewed this also viewed...
Spell Star Mega Bundle
Spell Star is a one player, four-game series from PLD Literacy & Learning, developed for 5-6 year olds by Australian speech pathologist Diana Rigg.$0.00
Reading Race 1a – cvc words
Reading Race 1a: CVC words is the first in the four-game ‘Reading Race’ series of reading apps from PLD Literacy & Learning. This fun educational game app was designed for children between the ages of 4 and 6.
CVC words or consonant-vowel-consonant words are simple three-letter words such as mat, dog and sit.
This one player game gives children an opportunity to start sounding out simple CVC words in a sequential, intuitive synthetic phonics manner. Children will get$0.00
Spell Star 1b – sh, ch, th, oo, ee, ck words
This second app (from a set of four), has been designed for students who are acquiring the ability to spell words which contain the early phonic concepts sh, ch, th, oo, ee and ck. The app is most suitable for the following age groups:
Year 1 students as they embark on the journey of learning to spell along with their peers.
Older students who are still acquiring the ability to spell words containing the phonic concepts sh, ch, th, oo, ee and ck.
This one player game is designed to provide early spellers with multiple opportunities to: Rehearse spelling words containing the phonic concepts sh, ch, th, oo,$0.00
Reading Race 1c – ccvc and cvcc words
Reading Race 1c: CCVC and CVCC words is the third in the four-game ‘Reading Race’ series of reading apps from PLD Literacy & Learning.
A one player game designed for children between the ages of 4 and 7 by Australian speech pathologist, Diana Rigg, this dynamic and engaging game$0.00