Scheduling Early Literacy Apps
PLD Reading & Spelling Apps PLD’s Apps have a strong emphasis on alphabet and phonic sounds and phonemic awareness. (i.e. synthetic phonics) and develop reading skills across a range of words which gradually increase in complexity. They are designed to captivate children’s attention whilst they engage in quality learning and facilitate learning in entirely new […]
PLD Reading & Spelling Apps PLD’s Apps have a strong emphasis on alphabet and phonic sounds and phonemic awareness. (i.e. synthetic phonics) and develop reading
PLD’s Whole School Literacy Plan
The document outlines how to implement PLD’s literacy, Movement and Motor and Oral Language resources during the Early Years, Foundation, Year 1 & 2 and across Years 3 to 6. Each page provides suggested time frames and implementation recommendations.
The purpose of this document is to provide an implementation outline to assist schools in scheduling the PLD programs within a broad school-based strategy. When
Year 1 & 2 Early Reading Screen
The Early Reading Screen presents an evidence-based alternative to whole-language reading assessments
The Year 1 & 2 Early Reading Screen is a quick single-word reading assessment. It presents words that gradually increase in length and phonic complexity.
Early Reading Screen – Foundation
Tracking the emergence of early decoding and word reading.
The Early Reading Screen – Foundation is designed to track the emergence of decoding and word reading. The screen can be used to track skill
Two Player Reading 1a – cvc words
- $5.99 for Apple single purchases in the App Store
- $2.99 for Apple Volume Purchases of 20+ apps in the App Store
This first app (from set of four) has been designed for those students on the verge of reading or who have recently started reading. It is an excellent supplement to early reading books, flash cards and reading games.
CVC words include words such as run, hot, hat and cap. CVC stands for consonant-vowel-consonant.
The App is most suitable for the following age groups:
- Advanced Kindergarten/Pre-School children
- Average Pre-Primary/Foundation students (as they start to embark on their new National Curriculum goals of learning to read prior to Year 1).
- Poor readers from Year 1, who are still operating at a CVC level.
This two player game is designed to provide early readers with multiple opportunities to:
- Rehearse and automate their CVC single word reading skills.
- Extend single word CVC reading skills by gradually increasing the complexity of the words presented.
Particular consideration has been given to:
- Alphabet and phonic sounds (rather than letter names).
- The combining or blending of sounds (i.e. phonemic awareness) which is an essential foundation skills when extending reading ability.
- An ordered sequence of reading concepts.
How to Play
Once the app loads, the settings (located on bottom left hand corner of the title page) can be accessed. Within the settings there is the choice of a slow, medium or fast game pace. Before starting, the level of the game will need to be selected. It is always recommended that children start at the initial level and progress through each level in the specified order.
Two players then position themselves on either side of the iPad. When the game commences, the instruction will be given to ‘read the word’. This is followed by the revealing of the individual sounds within the word and short pause in which the students have the opportunity to blend the sounds and identify the word before the app names the word.
Three mixed words are then presented directly in front of each player. Two of the words are distractor words plus the word that was read just moments ago. The players then race to select the focus word.
The player who is first to correctly identify the word, has a section of their palm tree coloured. The game concludes when one of the palm trees is fully coloured.
The game came can then be repeated over and over and when appropriate the students can progress up and through the levels.
Other apps within the range include:
- Two-Player Reading Race 1a (Stage 1 Target 1)
- Two-Player Reading Race 1b (Stage 1 Target 2)
- Two-Player Reading Race 1c (Stage 1 Target 3)
- Two-Player Reading Race 1d (Stage 1 Target 4)
- Reading Race 1a (Stage 1 Target 1)
- Reading Race 1b (Stage 1 Target 2)
- Reading Race 1c (Stage 1 Target 3)
- Reading Race 1d (Stage 1 Target 4)
[Single Player Stage 1 Spelling Apps]
- Spell Star 1a – cvc words – (Stage 1 Target 1)
- Spell Star 1b – sh, ch, th, oo, ee, ck words (Stage 1 Target 2)
- Spell Star 1c – ccvc and cvcc words (Stage 1 Target 3)
- Spell Star 1d – ar, or, ai, ay, oi words (Stage 1 Target 4)
- Reading Race Mega Bundle (all four Reading Race apps)
- Spell Star Mega Bundle (includes all four Spell Star apps)
- Literacy and Learning Mega Bundle (includes all Reading Race and Spell Star apps)
PLD’s Alignment to the Australian National Curriculum
How does PLD align to the Australian National Curriculum?
In the attached download we have outlined where PLD applies to each year level, the content code and descriptor and the related PLD programs.
PLD’s Alignment with the Early Years Learning Framework
Books: PLD’s books may only be used by the Authorised Purchaser, and the Authorised Purchaser’s students, and only in conjunction with classes taken by the Authorised Purchaser. PLD’s books may be photocopied up to 10% per year for use only by the Authorised Purchaser. The Authorised Purchaser is defined as the original purchaser of the PLD materials.
eBooks: PLD’s eBooks may only be used by the Authorised Purchaser, and the Authorised Purchaser’s students, and only in conjunction with classes taken by the Authorised Purchaser. The Authorised Purchaser is defined as the original purchaser of the PLD eBook. Under the ‘Statutory Educational License’ the authorised purchaser can:
- View the eBook as a whole or in part
- Copy the eBook to their personal drive or locally on their device
- Display the eBook on your Interactive Whiteboard, projector or smart TV, for the purpose of teaching the students in their own classroom
- Photocopy or print up to 10% of the eBook per year, for use with the students in their classroom(s).
For copyright purposes, every page of the PLD eBooks will be stamped with the name & email address provided by the purchaser at the time of order. PLD ebooks belong solely to the purchaser and may not be shared with colleagues, parents or anyone else. PLD eBooks must not be uploaded to school servers, intranets or online platforms. Schools wishing to license PLD eBooks can contact us HERE.
School Licences: A School Licence is a multi-user subscription to a PLD resource, such as a book or program, in a digital and printable format that is accessible via the ‘My Subscription’ section of the PLD website. A School Licence is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase and can be used by an unlimited number of teachers within a school. When bought under a School Licence:
- Resources are accessible in digital, flipbook format, which teachers can access from anywhere, at any time, on any device via the PLD website.
- The resources can be used by any amount of teachers in that school.
- Multiple teachers can access the resources simultaneously.
- The resource is available to print, subject to the standard 10% per year limitation as per Australian Copyright law.
- Updated versions of resources will be automatically accessible to users with a current licence for free, ensuring all users have access to the latest versions of resources.
- Resources are stored centrally and accessed via a secure login account on the PLD website. Thus, all currently subscription resources are accessible in the one convenient place, making resources extremely easy to find. Moreso, the school license offering eradicates the frustration of lost or misplaced resources and programs which happens often with hardback books.
Additional information can be accessed via the following links:
PLD’s Copyright Policy: https://support.pld-literacy.org/en-au/article/copyright-and-terms-of-use-of-pld-literacy-15tkcer/
People who viewed this also viewed...
Reading Race Mega Bundle
Reading Race is a one player, four-game series from PLD Literacy & Learning, developed for 5-6 year olds by Australian speech pathologist Diana Rigg.$0.00
Reading Race 1a – cvc words
Reading Race 1a: CVC words is the first in the four-game ‘Reading Race’ series of reading apps from PLD Literacy & Learning. This fun educational game app was designed for children between the ages of 4 and 6.
CVC words or consonant-vowel-consonant words are simple three-letter words such as mat, dog and sit.
This one player game gives children an opportunity to start sounding out simple CVC words in a sequential, intuitive synthetic phonics manner. Children will get$0.00
Spell Star Mega Bundle
Spell Star is a one player, four-game series from PLD Literacy & Learning, developed for 5-6 year olds by Australian speech pathologist Diana Rigg.$0.00
Literacy and Learning Mega Bundle
Reading Race and Spell Star are one player games, with four installments each. Developed by Australian speech pathologist Diana Rigg from PLD Literacy & Learning they are aimed at 5-6 year olds.$0.00