Oral language instruction should be an essential component of writing programs. Prior to and once students are able to write, effective oral language instruction helps to increase the sophistication of written vocabulary, sentence structure and the elaboration of ideas. To encourage the explicit instruction of oral language across classrooms, PLD has made our oral language posters available to download. Each download contains 4 or 5 posters to use in your Early Years, Foundation, Year 1 & 2 or Year 3, 4, 5 & 6 classroom. The posters contained within each download include:
- Event-based news (for Early Years, Foundation and Years 1 & 2) and journal writing with event recounts (for Year 3, 4, 5 & 6)
- Object description (for Early Years, Foundation and Years 1 & 2) and simple reports (for Year 3, 4, 5 & 6)
- Three-step activity retells (for Early Years, Foundation and Years 1 & 2) and procedural narratives posters (for Year 3, 4, 5 & 6)
- Simplistic narrative retell posters (for the Early Years, Foundation and Year 1 & 2 ) and increasingly complex narrative structure posters (for Year 3, 4, 5 & 6).
These posters relate to an implementation guide that is found in PLD’s downloadable Teaching Sequence Manuals.
In every writing task, your students’ oral language rehearsal and engagement should progress. Relevant PLD writing templates are available within the following programs:
- First writing Activities suitable for Foundation and Year 1 & 2
- Connecting Oral and Written Language – Step 1 for Year 1 & 2
- Connecting Oral and Written Language – Step 2 for Year 3, 4, 5 & 6
Click on ‘Read more’ to download the resources below.