$44.55 ex. GST $49.01 Incl. GST
This is a short course, which delivers a practical research-based approach to teaching the alphabet. It is essential that people working with children within their early years understand how to skilfully instruct this essential area so that children are equipped for their transition into early reading, spelling and writing.
The short-course explores the following:
- A brief introduction to basic principles of synthetic phonics, which underlies the PLD approach to teaching the alphabet.
- Demonstrations on how to explicitly teach the alphabet using PLD’s ‘Alphabet and early phonics, the multi-sensory way’.
- Demonstrations on how to apply this process to a set of generic alphabet cards.
- Tips – when children are slow to acquire the alphabet.
- The presentation of two screening tools track student progress.
- The first screen outlines readiness for learning the alphabet (i.e. initial phoneme or sound awareness).
- The second assessment tracks alphabet sound recognition (which supports reading) and alphabet sound recall and formation (which supports spelling & writing).
- Suggestions on what are the next areas to target after the alphabet.
NOTE: If you would like to purchase a single user licence, please sign up for the course here to gain immediate access
At the end of my course, students will be able to…
- Understand the basic principles underpinning synthetic phonics and the theoretical base supporting PLD’s approach to teaching the alphabet.
- Explicitly instruct the alphabet sounds in a manner that supports later early literacy development and ultimately speeds up a child’s preparation for reading.
- Understand which alphabet sounds to teach first.
- Understand tips to implement when children are slower than their peers to acquire alphabet skills.
- Track alphabet skills for reading and alphabet skills for spelling and writing using PLD’s assessment sheets.
- Identify is children are ready to learn the alphabet.
- Understand where to go next after alphabet sounds have or are being acquired.
Who should take this course? Who should not?
Students appreciate instructors who set the right expectations by telling them what specific student needs they are solving, who the course is best suited for, and who it is NOT for.
- The course focuses primarily upon the effective instruction of the alphabet within the early years, however the course can benefit those working with students within the primary schools years who are experiencing difficulty acquiring alphabet knowledge.
- Literacy Coordinators or Junior Primary Coordinators (looking for positive and consistent processes within schools).
- Day care and community care providers.
- Student teachers and/or parents.
- Tutors aiming to devise a program for the students they are working with.
- Speech pathologists, educational psychologists or occupational therapists working within the realm of early literacy.
What will students need to know or do before starting this course?
- The online course is ideal for the beginning of a school year, but it can be commenced at any time within an academic year.
- The course provides an overview of theory but is very practical in nature, demonstrating many ways to approach the teaching of the alphabet.
What materials/software do the students need and what actions do they have to perform before the course begins?
- Download the screening tools for reference within the course.
MULTI USER DISCOUNTS NOW AVAILABLE
If you purchase more than one online course licence at one time you now receive a scaled discount.
2 to 5 User Licences – 10% discount per licence
6 to 10 User Licences – 15% discount per licence
11 to 20 User Licences – 25% discount per licence
21 to 50 User Licences – 35% discount per licence
51 to 100 User Licences – 50% discount per licence
100 + User Licences – please send an enquiry to [email protected] for a quote specific to your needs.
NOTE: Upon purchasing this course you will receive an e-mail within 48 hours with your login credentials and details on how to access the course. You will have 3 months to register for the course and once registered, you will have full access to the course for 90 days.
If you have any questions about this online course or anything else to do with PLD, please take a look at our FAQ here.