PLD can be implemented at any time throughout the school year. PLD recommends commencing explicit SSP instruction and regular screening and tracking as early as possible to make the most of the teaching weeks within the school year. This article outlines how to begin implementing PLD within Term 2.
PLD implementation can be launched at any stage within the school year. For other implementation plans please see:
Step 1: Register for & set up the PLD Tracking Sheets.
- Click here to register for the PLD Tracking Sheets.
- Set up the classes for the 2022 school year. For example, rename the tabs to denote year levels and class names ie Yr 1 Room 9, Yr 3 LA4, Yr 6J, etc and enter the class list (student names) in the correct columns (this could be done by admin staff).
- If planning for Term 2, it is necessary to “hide” the Term 1 columns as per the videos in Step 4.
Step 2: Teachers and Education Assistants need to view at least two hours of the relevant online course.
For some schools, this will occur during the Term 2 pupil-free day. For other schools, this will likely occur during staff meetings. The online courses outline PLD’s implementation in primary schools. Below are quick links to the relevant courses.
- Early Years Online Course: Pre-Literacy in the Early Years.
- Foundation Online Course: Learning to Read, Spell and Write in Foundation.
- Year 1 & 2 Online Course: Synthetic Phonics Within the Junior Primary.
- Year 3, 4, 5 & 6 Online Course: Synthetic Phonics and Beyond.
Step 3: The participating classes will need to administer and mark the relevant screens.
The screens are located in the Early Years Screening & Tracking Manual.
- Beginning of Term 2: Begin teaching the skills in the Term 2 overview on page 5 in the Early Years Teaching Sequence Manual. There are no Week 1 screens in the Early Years.
- Midterm: Administer Subtest 2 Initial Sound Awareness in the Early Years Pre-Literacy Screen on page 14.
- Mark the screens. Be sure to note any Negative Observations (a checklist is on the screening template).
These screens are located within the Foundation Screening & Tracking Manual.
- Administer the Term 2 Spelling Screen on page 25. For those students unable to spell CVC words, administer the Pre-Spelling Screen located on page 23.
- Present the Foundation Early Reading Screen located on page 16. For students unable to read, administer the Foundation Pre-Reading Screen located on page 13.
- Mark the screens.
Year 1 & 2
These screens are located in the Year 1 & 2 Screening & Tracking Manual.
- Administer the End of Term 1 Spelling Placement Screen on page 10.
- For students unable to spell CVC words (or who score 0-20% in Stage 1 Target 1), present the Difficulty Acquiring Stage 1 screen on page 28.
- OPTIONAL: Administer the Year 1 & 2 Early Reading Screen on page 16.
- Mark the screens.
Year 3, 4, 5 & 6
These screens are located in the Year 3, 4, 5 & 6 Screening & Tracking Manual.
- Administer the End of Term 1 Spelling Placement Screen page 10.
- For students unable to spell CVC words (or those who score 0-20% in Stage 1 Target 1) present the Difficulty Acquiring Stage 1 screen on page 28.
- OPTIONAL: For the students still working within PLD Stages 1 and 2 for spelling (or with delayed reading), present the Early Reading Screen for Middle & Upper Primary Students on page 23.
- Mark the screens.
Step 4: Two short videos to be viewed by all teachers prior to, or immediately after, entering results into the PLD Tracking Sheets.
For All Teachers to Watch
Early Years Teachers Also Watch
Foundation Teachers Also Watch
Year 1 & 2 Teachers Also Watch
Year 3, 4, 5 & 6 Teachers Also Watch
After viewing the two relevant videos above, all teachers will then:
- Enter the test scores into the PLD Tracking Sheets.
- Arrange their class into three targeted teaching groups.
- Assign a Learning Focus for each group for the term ahead.
Step 5: Once teachers have established a teaching plan for the term ahead by arranging the class into three targeted teaching groups, support & coaching from PLD can be given.
When the student results have been entered into the tracking sheets following the first round of screening, the School Leader (ie Literacy Coordinator, Deputy Principal, Head of Curriculum etc) can request support through this link: https://pld-literacy.org/request-for-support-with-pld-tracking-sheets/.
It is highly recommended that the school-wide tracking document be shared in a “cloud” format through the School’s IT staff. Click here for why.