PLD recommends commencing explicit SSP instruction as early as possible in Term 1. Some schools new to implementing PLD used a pupil-free day at the end of the previous year, or the beginning of this new school year, to review handover screening whilst watching the online courses. However, there will be other schools that are keen to begin PLD implementation in Term 1 following the commencement of the school year. This article outlines how to begin implementing PLD within Term 1.
Step 1: Register for & set up the PLD Tracking Sheets.
- Click here to register for the PLD Tracking Sheets.
- Set up the classes for the current school year. For example, rename the tabs to denote year levels and class names ie Yr 1 Room 9, Yr 3 LA4, Yr 6J, etc and enter the class lists (student names) in the correct columns (this could be done by admin staff).
Step 2: Teachers and Education Assistants need to view at least two hours of the relevant online course.
For some schools, this could occur during a pupil-free day. For other schools, this will likely occur during staff meetings. The online courses outline PLD’s implementation in primary schools. Below are quick links to the relevant courses.
- Early Years Online Course: Pre-Literacy in the Early Years.
- Foundation Online Course: Learning to Read, Spell and Write in Foundation.
- Year 1 & 2 Online Course: Synthetic Phonics Within the Junior Primary.
- Year 3, 4, 5 & 6 Online Course: Synthetic Phonics and Beyond.
Step 3: The participating classes will need to administer and mark the relevant screens.
- There are no beginning-of-term screens in the Early Years. The first round of screens are scheduled midterm (or by the end of Week 6).
- Begin the term teaching the skills outlined in the Early Years Teaching Sequence Manual.
- Midterm: Screen students using Subtest 1 Syllable Segmentation in the Early Years Pre-Literacy Screen on page 14 (instructions on page 8) in the Early Years Screening & Tracking Manual.
- There are no beginning-of-term screens in Foundation. The first round of screens are scheduled midterm (or by the end of Week 6).
- Begin the term teaching the skills outlined in the Foundation Teaching Sequence Manual.
- Midterm: Administer the Foundation Pre-Reading Screen located on pages 13+ (instructions pages 8+) in the Foundation Screening & Tracking Manual.
- Midterm: Administer the Pre-Spelling Screen located on pages 23+ in the Foundation Screening & Tracking Manual.
Year 1 & 2
- Administer the Term 1 Spelling Placement Screen on page 9. For instructions refer to pages 6+ in the Year 1 & 2 Screening & Tracking Manual.
- Administer the Year 1 & 2 Early Reading Screen located on pages 16-19 in the Year 1 & 2 Screening & Tracking Manual.
- For students unable to encode CVC words (or who score between 0-20% in Stage 1 Target 1), present the Difficulty Acquiring Stage 1 screen on pages 31-32 in the Year 1 & 2 Screening & Tracking Manual.
Year 3, 4, 5 & 6
- Administer the Term 1 Spelling Placement Screen located on pages 9-10 in the Year 3, 4, 5 & 6 Screening & Tracking Manual.
- For the students still in Stages 1 and 2 for spelling (or with delayed reading), the Early Reading Screen for Middle & Upper Primary Students is located on pages 23-26 in the
- For students unable to encode CVC words (or who score between 0-20% in Stage 1 Target 1), present the Difficulty Acquiring Stage 1 screen on pages 27+ in the Year 3, 4, 5 & 6 Screening & Tracking Manual.
Step 4: Two short videos to be viewed by all teachers prior to (or immediately after) entering results into the tracking sheets.
For All Teachers to Watch
Early Years Teachers Also Watch
Year 1 & 2 Teachers Also Watch
Foundation Teachers Also Watch
Year 3, 4, 5 & 6 Teachers Also Watch
After viewing the two relevant videos above, Years 1-6 teachers will then:
- Enter the test scores into the PLD Tracking Sheets.
- Arrange their class into three targeted teaching groups.
- Assign a Learning Focus for each group for the term ahead.
Step 5: Once teachers have established a teaching plan for the term ahead by arranging the class into three targeted teaching groups, support & coaching from PLD can be given.
When the student results have been entered into the tracking sheets following the first round of screening, the School Leader (ie Literacy Coordinator, Deputy Principal, Head of Curriculum etc) can request support through this link: https://pld-literacy.org/request-for-support-with-pld-tracking-sheets/. Support can be given following the midterm screening in Early Years and Foundation, and again after the end of term screening.
It is highly recommended that the school-wide tracking document be shared in a “cloud” format through the School’s IT staff. Click here for why.
PLD implementation can be launched at any stage within the school year. For other implementation plans please see: