Dictation is a time efficient structured option and addition to literacy blocks, which facilitates progress in a relatively short period of time.
Dictation is a time efficient structured option and addition to literacy blocks, which facilitates progress in a relatively short period of time. This is a short course which outlines a range of ways dictation can be delivered in the primary schools years and the benefits from the regular presentation. Suggestions for presenting dictation to junior, middle or upper primary students and classes with diverse ranges in ability will be explored.
At the end of my course, students will be able to:
- Understand what is dictation and what the benefits of dictation.
- Identify appropriate passages for dictation.
- Established guidelines for marking dictation which make the marking time efficient.
- Understand how to present dictation at a junior, middle and upper primary level.
- Support dictation and make it easier (particularly for the students with delayed skills).
- Understand how to present dictation when there is a wide range of ability within the class.
- Effectively implementation of PLD’s ‘Phonic Dictation’ range (should the range be available)
- Use support staff to facilitate dictation (should staffing allow for this)
- Use technology to support dictation.
Who should take this course? Who should not?
- The course focuses upon the delivery of dictation within the primary school years. If however teachers in the secondary sector have students operating at a primary school level, this course will be appropriate.
- Literacy Coordinators and/or Curriculum Coordinators (looking for positive and consistent processes within schools).
- Day care and community care providers.
- Student teachers and/or parents.
- Tutors aiming to devise a program for the students they are working with.
- Speech pathologists, educational psychologists or occupational therapists working within the realm of early literacy.
What will students need to know or do before starting this course?
- The online course is ideal for the beginning of a school year, but it can be commenced at any time within an academic year.
- The course is very practical in nature, demonstrating many ways to approach the the presentation of dictation passages to whole class groups or smaller focused groups who present with specific needs.
Listen to Diana discuss this course here.
If you have any questions about this online course or anything else to do with PLD, please take a look at our FAQ here.
MULTIPLE USERS? WANT TO DO THE COURSE WITH YOUR STAFF? Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the various licensing options available for multiple users.
Related Blog Posts
Stay up to date with the latest news, discussions
and views from the PLD Literacy team.