Evidence in Support of SSP
One of the most compelling findings from the research is that children who get off to a poor start in literacy, rarely catch up, even with extra funding and special programs. High performing schools are getting it right in the junior primary by using Systematic Synthetic Phonics programs (SSP), like PLD, and maximising the phase in which students are first learning to read, spell and write. They fully maximise the potential in this short ‘window of time’ with:
- Skilled & Knowledgeable Teaching & Support Staff.
- The Team Focused upon a Tight & Connected Teaching Sequence.
- Time-efficient & Useful Tracking & Reporting Process.
- Active & Engaged School Leadership.
PLD can support schools in achieving literacy goals through our targeted programs for both classroom teachers and the school leadership team.
PLD Resources for Classroom Teachers
Classroom teachers need to focus on three pillars to prepare for a successful implementation. PLD have designed detailed manuals for each year level, setting out everything required to teach literacy and oral language (Early Years & Foundation have the inclusion of movement & motor) at a classroom level, for the full school year. Visit our year group pages to discover comprehensive classroom resources including:
- Week-by-week Teaching Sequence Manuals set out over a Full Year.
- Screening & Tracking Manuals with Accompanying step-by-step Videos on Entering & Sorting the Data Collected.
- Suggestions on Catering for the Range in Ability – Evident in All Classrooms.
Additionally, to Support Classroom Teachers we Offer:
- Training – Every teacher needs to be prepared with appropriate professional development – at a minimum, we recommend taking the year level specific online course.
- Evidence-Based Programs – We provide a full range of literacy, oral language and movement & motor programs, aligned with the downloadable Teaching Sequence Manuals, for purchase targeted by year level, written & created in Australia. This will clearly answer the question of what to teach, when to teach it and how to cater for the range in ability? within classes in a handy week-by-week, term-by-term sequence.
- Screening & Tracking – Tracking student progress is an essential component of the PLD process. The screening and reporting process, at a classroom level, helps teachers identify the targeted teaching that each student requires. Refer to the year level specific Screening & Tracking Manuals and download our ready to use Tracking Sheets.
Want to Explore our Easy Four-Step Process for Implementing PLD in Classrooms?
See our detailed year level guides:
School Leader’s Guide to Implementing PLD
If the school is ready to raise the literacy outcomes of the students, PLD has the training, resources and tools to fully support successful implementation. The role of a school leader is to be the champion of the implementation, making sure that everyone in the teaching community has the professional development for teaching their current year level, is equipped with the right resources and confident with the screening & tracking processes.
At each step, PLD provides school leaders with the tools and resources to ensure a cohesive and easily managed roll out. We’ve created an online course specifically for Principals, Deputy Principals and Literacy Coordinators that takes leaders through the elements and benefits of the PLD Structured Synthetic Phonics (SSP) Program.
The online course will cover professional development requirements, program implementation, resource management and most importantly screening and tracking. The 50-minute course provides school leaders with coaching tips to help support teaching staff with the implementation and roll out of PLD.
What is Included in the PLD School Leaders Online Course?
Designed Specifically for School Leaders and discusses:
- The Evidence-Base of SSP Programs and PLD in Particular.
- Emphasis on discussing the Junior Primary Years.
Examination of the Elements to a Successful School Wide Implementation including:
- Professional Development for Classroom Teachers.
- Teaching Sequence Manuals.
- Screening & Tracking Manuals, Processes & Tools.
We then look at the screening and tracking process & data and how it can be used at the individual student level, classroom level and across the whole school. The course provides many examples of data and how to interpret it, and suggestions for the coaching of staff. Much of the course focuses on the areas for school leaders to engage in to ensure implementation success.
Each Attendee will Receive a Step-by-step PDF Handbook Designed Specifically for School Leaders
Click on the image below to download the manual. This manual is also included as a download within the online course.
Ready to Get Started?
Step 1 – Book the school leadership team into our online course to ensure a successful implementation.
Step 3 – Ensure each teacher has the specific Teaching Sequence & Screening & Tracking Manuals written specifically for their year group.
We are confident that by implementing PLD in a rigorous way across the school, leadership will be able to direct and focus the entire team, to facilitate the best literacy results possible in the junior primary and also into the middle and upper primary. Good luck and remember we are here to support and guide schools in the successful roll out.