Implementing PLD in Year 3, 4, 5 & 6 (WA) Seminar
By middle and upper primary, students typically present with a diverse range in ability.
What to teach? When to screen? How to cater for the range in ability?
This one-day Literacy and Learning, seminar designed for Years 3, 4, 5, & 6, outlines evidence-based structured synthetic phonics (SSP) teaching and student tracking. Despite the range in ability within each middle and upper primary class, the targeted SSP teaching aims to cater for the literacy outcomes of all students in middle and upper primary students. This seminar provides a scope and sequence that is practical, realistic and time-efficient to implement and will cater for advanced, average and delayed students.
Recommended for staff working within Years 3, 4, 5, & 6, this seminar explores:
- A non-standardised spelling placement test in order to determine the specific range within the class.
- How to allocate a proportion of the literacy block to the explicit instruction of spelling and decoding ‘word attack’ skills and also how to facilitate the transference of these spelling words (and ever-increasing sophisticated vocabulary concepts) into writing.
- A synthetic phonics approach for the students operating at a junior primary level.
- For the stronger students, a phonic-based approach that focuses upon word meanings and opportunities to transfer concepts into writing.
- Oral language instruction and how to facilitate students’ ability to speak in complex grammatically correct sentences.
- As narrative programs have been associated with increasing comprehension and written expression ability, narrative retelling and narrative generation processes are also outlined.
Small Group Coaching Sessions
These coaching sessions will focus on the teaching, testing, and tracking that should occur within Year 3, 4, 5 & 6. It is an opportunity to ask questions. Remember to bring along your PLD tracking spreadsheet.
Check Dates and Register
- Friday 12 November 2021 – Full Day
- Tuesday 25 January 2022 – Full Day
- Friday 11 March 2022 – Full Day
- Friday 22 April 2022 – Small Group Coaching
- Thursday 26 May 2022 – Full Day
- Thursday 14 July 2022 – Small Group Coaching
- Friday 26 August 2022 – Full Day
- Thursday 6 October 2022 – Small Group Coaching
- Friday 11 November 2022 – Full Day