Implementing PLD in Pre-Primary (WA) Seminar
The PRE-PRIMARY school year is an important and complicated year level to teach. Educators require evidence-based knowledge on the targeted teaching of pre-literacy and early literacy development.
What to teach? When to screen? How to cater for the range in ability?
This one day Literacy and Learning seminar for Pre-primary provides educators with the knowledge and tools they will require to explicitly target pre-literacy and early literacy in a systematic fashion.
The Foundation school year is an incredibly important year of literacy learning and it is essential that as many students receive a positive start to their schooling and literacy development.
Young students require multiple opportunities to rehearse their emerging pre and early literacy skills. PLD recommends three targeted teaching groups, defined on the basis of the PLD student tracking.
Recommended for staff working within Pre-primary (WA), this seminar explores:
- How children typically read first, spell second and write third.
- The two core skills that enable a child to decode, the three core skills that facilitate early spelling and the range of skills that facilitate writing.
- Pre-literacy skill development early in the school year, so that the foundations for literacy are established.
- A time efficient pre-literacy assessment to track skill development and readiness for reading and spelling.
- How to introduce reading, spelling and writing in an early childhood manner so that early literacy learning is enjoyable.
- Time efficient decoding and spelling assessments.
- The instruction of high frequency words and the relevance of decodable reading material.
- Short ‘speech pathology’ derived oral language activities which facilitate the ability to speak in grammatically correct sentences.
Small Group Coaching Sessions
These coaching sessions will focus on the teaching, testing, and tracking that should occur within Pre-Primary. It is an opportunity to ask questions. Remember to bring along your PLD tracking spreadsheet.
Check Dates and Register
- Wednesday 10 November 2021 – Full Day
- Friday 21 January 2022 – Full Day
- Wednesday 9 March 2022 – Full Day
- Thursday 21 April 2022 – Small Group Coaching
- Tuesday 24 May 2022 – Full Day
- Wednesday 13 July 2022 – Small Group Coaching
- Wednesday 24 August 2022 – Full Day
- Wednesday 5 October 2022 – Small Group Coaching
- Wednesday 9 November 2022 – Full Day