Online Seminar: Implementing PLD in Year 1 & 2 Seminar
Researchers consistently report that the returns are greatest when students are first learning to read, spell and write. Year 1 and 2 is critical for long-term literacy success.
What to teach? When to screen? How to cater for the range in ability?
This full-day online seminar provides educators working within the Year 1 & 2 with the knowledge and tools required to explicitly target early literacy in a systematic fashion. This seminar explains the implementation of PLD’s structured synthetic phonics programs (SSP) within Year 1 & 2. It outlines PLD’s targeted teaching and the associated tracking and reporting of skill development. The implementation of this preventative program aims to set up young learners for success in their literacy acquisition.
The presentation is recommended for all educators working within Year 1 & 2 (WA).
The presentation outlines:
- How to implement PLD’s structured synthetic phonics (SSP) approach in Year 1 & 2.
- How three levels of targeted teaching can be delivered to a class.
- The teaching of decoding, fluency and the importance of decodable reading material.
- Time-efficient reading and spelling assessments are designed to inform teaching plans so teachers can be more focused on their instruction.
- Assessments and instruction for students not yet reading and spelling (i.e when operating at a pre-CVC level).
- The adoption of the PLD’s tracking sheets in order to establish a plan for the upcoming term.
- The presentation of phonic dictation passages as a facilitator of phonic concepts into extended written work.
- Techniques to apply for poor (or reluctant) writers.
- Oral language instruction (to supplement SSP) which facilitates the ability to speak in complex, grammatically correct sentences.
- Narrative retelling and generation instruction to increase comprehension and written expression ability.
Research reports that Structured Synthetic Phonics (SSP) programs produce superior literacy gains. PLD’s SSP approach is identified by AUSPELD as a recommended evidence-based approach. With a focus on PLD’s evidence-based Structured Synthetic Phonics (SSP) approach to literacy, those registered will be presented with knowledge and resources that will assist in maximising the literacy outcomes of the students within a junior primary class.
Nationwide Online Full-Day Seminar Dates:
Exactly the same as the training room seminar delivered online.
- Term 1 – Wednesday 23 February 2022
- Term 2 – Thursday 5 May 2022
- Term 3 – Wednesday 27 July 2022
- Term 4 – Wednesday 28 October 2022
To view online seminars for:
To view all seminar dates, download the Seminar Flyer here: