Implementing PLD in Foundation Seminars
The PRE-PRIMARY school year is an important and complicated year level to teach. Educators require evidence-based knowledge on the targeted teaching of pre-literacy and early literacy development.
What to teach? When to screen? How to cater for the range in ability?
This one day Literacy and Learning seminar for Pre-primary provides educators with the knowledge and tools they will require to explicitly target pre-literacy and early literacy in a systematic fashion.
The Foundation school year is an incredibly important year of literacy learning and it is essential that as many students receive a positive start to their schooling and literacy development.
Young students require multiple opportunities to rehearse their emerging pre and early literacy skills. PLD recommends three targeted teaching groups, defined on the basis of the PLD student tracking.
Recommended for staff working within Pre-primary (WA), this seminar explores:
- How children typically read first, spell second and write third.
- The two core skills that enable a child to decode, the three core skills that facilitate early spelling and the range of skills that facilitate writing.
- Pre-literacy skill development early in the school year, so that the foundations for literacy are established.
- A time efficient pre-literacy assessment to track skill development and readiness for reading and spelling.
- How to introduce reading, spelling and writing in an early childhood manner so that early literacy learning is enjoyable.
- Time efficient decoding and spelling assessments.
- The instruction of high frequency words and the relevance of decodable reading material.
- Short ‘speech pathology’ derived oral language activities which facilitate the ability to speak in grammatically correct sentences.
WA Training Room Full-Day Seminar Dates:
- Summer Holidays – Friday 21 January 2022
- Term 1 – Wednesday 9 March 2022
- Term 2 – Tuesday 24 May 2022
- Term 3 -Wednesday 24 August 2022
- Term 4 – Wednesday 9 November 2022
Nationwide Online Full-Day Seminar Dates:
Exactly the same as the training room seminar delivered online.
- Term 1 – Tuesday 22 February 2022
- Term 2 – Tuesday 4 May 2022
- Term 3 – Tuesday 26 July 2022
- Term 4 – Friday 21 October 2022
WA Small Half-Day Group Coaching Dates:
These coaching sessions will focus on the teaching, testing, and tracking that should occur within Pre-Primary. It is an opportunity to ask questions. Remember to bring along your PLD tracking spreadsheet.
- School Holidays after Term 1 – Thursday 21 April 2022
- School Holidays after Term 2 – Wednesday 13 July 2022
- School Holidays after Term 3 – Wednesday 5 October 2022
Seminars Available Through SPELD SA:
- Monday 16th May 2022 – Junior Primary (Reception, Year 1 & Year 2)
- Tuesday 17th May 2022 – MIddle and Upper Primary (Year 3, 4, 5 & 6)
- Tuesday 2nd August 2022 – Junior Primary (Reception, Year 1 & Year 2)
- Monday 1st August 2022 – Middle and Upper Primary (Year 3, 4, 5 & 6)
- Monday 17th October 2022 – Junior Primary (Reception, Year 1 & Year 2)
- Tuesday 18th October 2022 – Middle and Upper Primary (Year 3, 4, 5 & 6)
Registrations through SPELD SA’s website.
Seminars Available Through SPELD QLD:
- Wednesday 23rd March 2022 – Junior Primary (Prep, Year 1 & Year 2)
- Thursday 24th March 2022 – MIddle and Upper Primary (Year 3, 4, 5 & 6)
- Tuesday 7th June 2022 – Junior Primary (Prep, Year 1 & Year 2)
- Wednesday 8th June 2022 – Middle and Upper Primary (Year 3, 4, 5 & 6)
- Tuesday 6th September 2022 – Junior Primary (Prep, Year 1 & Year 2)
- Wednesday 7th September 2022 – Middle and Upper Primary (Year 3, 4, 5 & 6)
- Thursday 27th October 2022 – Junior Primary (Prep, Year 1 & Year 2)
- Friday 28th October 2022 – Middle and Upper Primary (Year 3, 4, 5 & 6)
Registrations through SPELD QLD’s website.
To view seminars for:
To view all seminar dates, download the Seminar Flyer here: