PLD’s Alignment to the Australian National Curriculum
How does PLD align to the Australian National Curriculum?
In the attached download we have outlined where PLD applies to each year level, the content code and descriptor and the related PLD programs.
PLD’s Alignment with the Early Years Learning Framework
Spelling Activities for the Junior Primary (Subscription)
Year Level: School Licenses, Year 1 & 2
$225.01 (inc. $20.46 GST)
This is a PLD Whole School License resource.
By purchasing this license, this program will be accessible as a digital flipbook that will be stored in your secure account on the PLD website. The program will be accessible as a digital flipbook that teachers can access on any device for as long as the license is active. A School Licence is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase and can be shared with all staff employed at the school.
We highly recommend that either the Principal, Deputy Principal or a member of the admin team purchase the School Licence in order to manage the account and its users. For more information, visit our Whole School Licence FAQ.
Based on synthetic phonics and linguistic theory.
The ability to read well is a basic skill and vital to national survival (Chall 1989). However, there have been ongoing concerns regarding the poor adult literacy rates since the introduction of whole language approaches to literacy development both within Australia and internationally. In 2004 these concerns led to a National Inquiry into the Teaching of Literacy (NITL) here in Australia. The results, published in 2005 recognised the importance of a systematic, synthetic phonics approach to reading instruction (Bowey 2006). These findings were independently echoed in the US and UK with recommendations that teaching of reading and spelling must include a synthetic phonics approach (Dooner 2010).
As Joshi (2009) clearly outlines, one cannot teach what one does not understand, and it is therefore important that teachers understand synthetic phonics, the alphabetic code, phonological awareness and types of language and vocabulary and how these work together in the development of strong literacy skills. Spelling Activities for the Junior Primary is intended to provide a definition of synthetic phonics and related skills, an understanding of the importance of synthetic phonics, and practical suggestions for how to teach synthetic phonics within the classroom, in addition to specific spelling activities which are based on the principles of synthetic phonics and are ready to use with your students individually, within small groups or as part of whole-class activities.
Junior Primary spelling activities resource (which incorporates synthetic phonics and linguistic theory).
Three levels of each template aim to cater for the range in ability (i.e. delayed, average and advanced students) evident in classrooms
The activity templates are ready to photocopy.
A key resource when establishing a spelling program.
Assessment points are located at the base of each sheet (for students, a peer or teachers to rate task performance).
An ideal complement to PLD’s Phonic Sight Word Sequence.
Other programs within the range include:
Spelling Activities are also available within the Time-Savers range:
Books: PLD’s books may only be used by the Authorised Purchaser, and the Authorised Purchaser’s students, and only in conjunction with classes taken by the Authorised Purchaser. PLD’s books may be photocopied up to 10% per year for use only by the Authorised Purchaser. The Authorised Purchaser is defined as the original purchaser of the PLD materials.
eBooks: PLD’s eBooks may only be used by the Authorised Purchaser, and the Authorised Purchaser’s students, and only in conjunction with classes taken by the Authorised Purchaser. The Authorised Purchaser is defined as the original purchaser of the PLD eBook. Under the ‘Statutory Educational License’ the authorised purchaser can:
- View the eBook as a whole or in part
- Copy the eBook to their personal drive or locally on their device
- Display the eBook on your Interactive Whiteboard, projector or smart TV, for the purpose of teaching the students in their own classroom
- Photocopy or print up to 10% of the eBook per year, for use with the students in their classroom(s).
For copyright purposes, every page of the PLD eBooks will be stamped with the name & email address provided by the purchaser at the time of order. PLD ebooks belong solely to the purchaser and may not be shared with colleagues, parents or anyone else. PLD eBooks must not be uploaded to school servers, intranets or online platforms. Schools wishing to license PLD eBooks can contact us HERE.
School Licences: A School Licence is a multi-user subscription to a PLD resource, such as a book or program, in a digital and printable format that is accessible via the ‘My Subscription’ section of the PLD website. A School Licence is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase and can be used by an unlimited number of teachers within a school. When bought under a School Licence:
- Resources are accessible in digital, flipbook format, which teachers can access from anywhere, at any time, on any device via the PLD website.
- The resources can be used by any amount of teachers in that school.
- Multiple teachers can access the resources simultaneously.
- The resource is available to print, subject to the standard 10% per year limitation as per Australian Copyright law.
- Updated versions of resources will be automatically accessible to users with a current licence for free, ensuring all users have access to the latest versions of resources.
- Resources are stored centrally and accessed via a secure login account on the PLD website. Thus, all currently subscription resources are accessible in the one convenient place, making resources extremely easy to find. Moreso, the school license offering eradicates the frustration of lost or misplaced resources and programs which happens often with hardback books.
Additional information can be accessed via the following links:
PLD’s Copyright Policy: https://support.pld-literacy.org/en-au/article/copyright-and-terms-of-use-of-pld-literacy-15tkcer/