This download outlines how PLD programs link to the ACARA National Curriculum year level content descriptions.
Sound Wall Charts for Foundation (Subscription)
This is a PLD School License resource
By purchasing this license, this program will be accessible as a digital flipbook that will be stored in your secure account on the PLD website. The program will be accessible as a digital flipbook that teachers can access on any device for as long as the license is active. A School Licence is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase and can be shared with all staff employed at the school.
We highly recommend that either the Principal, Deputy Principal or a member of the admin team purchase the School Licence in order to manage the account and its users. For more information, visit our School Licence FAQ.
What are the features of PLD’s Sound Wall Charts?
Teaching the 44 speech sounds of the English language requires accurate modelling and articulation, pedagogy that sound walls support. The PLD sound wall charts focus on the phonemes (or individual sounds) of speech and link to the PLD scheduled phonic sequence. Each phoneme-specific chart features:
- Charts focused upon the phonemes and phonics for an Early Years class.
- The corresponding visual of a mouth.
- A simple description (e.g. tongue tapping sound, lip popping sound, peeking tongue sound, coughing or huffing sound)
- A detailed description.
- Icons identifying if the phoneme is a long or short, quiet or noisy, or vowel or consonant sound.
- Areas to add words (making the charts interactive rather than static).
- The related phonic concepts for each year level.
What is a sound wall display?
A sound wall is an interactive display of phonic concepts and words that is organised by and/or emphasises individual sounds (phonemes). Commonly there is one wall for consonants and one for vowels.
Sound walls focus on the formation of phonemes which gives young students a structure that helps them understand the foundation of language and written literacy. As we know from current research about the science of reading, children learn to read through the application of orthographic mapping, a speech-to-print process where letters are mapped to known speech sounds. Teachers need to harness this modern understanding by using sound wall displays as a teaching and learning tool in their classrooms to support the process of learning to read and spell.
Other Sound Wall Charts Pack:
- Sound Wall Charts for the Early Years (26 A4 coloured charts which focus on the alphabet)
- Sound Wall Charts for Foundation (42 A4 coloured charts which focus on the alphabet and Stage 1 digraphs)
- Sound Wall Charts for Year 1 (49 A4 coloured charts which focus on Stage 1 & Stage 2 digraphs)
- Sound Wall Charts for Year 2 & 3 (71 A4 coloured charts which focus on Stage 1, Stage 2 & Stage 3 diagraphs)
Copyright: PLD printed materials belong solely to the authorised purchaser and may not be shared with colleagues, parents or anyone else. PLD printed materials can not be uploaded to school servers, intranets or online platforms. A quick FAQ on how you can and can't use PLD printed materials can be found HERE.
Copyright: For copyright purposes, every page of the PLD eBooks will be stamped with the name & email address provided by the purchaser at the time of order. PLD ebooks belong solely to the purchaser and may not be shared with colleagues, parents or anyone else. PLD eBooks can not be uploaded to school servers, intranets or online platforms. Schools wishing to license PLD eBooks can contact us HERE.