This download outlines how PLD programs link to the ACARA National Curriculum year level content descriptions.
Late Stage 1 – Reading, Spelling and Writing Tasks – Target 4 (Subscription)
This is a PLD School License resource
By purchasing this license, this program will be accessible as a digital flipbook that will be stored in your secure account on the PLD website. The program will be accessible as a digital flipbook that teachers can access on any device for as long as the license is active. A School Licence is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase and can be shared with all staff employed at the school.
We highly recommend that either the Principal, Deputy Principal or a member of the admin team purchase the School Licence in order to manage the account and its users. For more information, visit our School Licence FAQ.
Designed by a Speech Pathologist for use in schools and the home, this program for 6 to 7 year olds focuses on early literacy, reading and spelling abilities with such phonic concepts: ay, ar, or, ai, oy, oi, er. The explicit teaching format incorporates multiple word reading and spelling tasks.
In order for phonic based reading and spelling materials to be effective children must possess adequate phonemic awareness skills. This resource incorporates a significant phonemic awareness element. While this is ideal for the dyslexic and learning difficulties population (who are typically insensitive to the phonemic structure of words and rely on the visual appearance of words) this approach has proven to effectively accelerate early reading and spelling skills with the more mainstream population.
Attention to mouth movements involved in producing the sounds in words heightens children’s attention to the phonemic structure and supports the organization of the letter symbols in spelling and the decoding of the symbols in reading. The combination of the attention to the oral, auditory and visual aspects achieves balanced word attack strategies and significantly accelerates the acquisition of the earliest reading and spelling steps.
The aim of this resource is to establish the ability to read and spell regular phonic words. For some students, once this skill is established they then require multiple opportunities to practice this skill (e.g. reading 200 to 300 such words) before these basic words are read automatically (i.e. without sounding out). For students who require more practice and rehearsal, the games based program Stage 1 Single Word Decoding and Spelling Skills is recommended.
- A full term’s worth of early literacy tasks
- Single word “sounding out” and spelling tasks
- Sentence level reading and writing tasks
The programs within the range include:
Books: PLD’s books may only be used by the Authorised Purchaser, and the Authorised Purchaser’s students, and only in conjunction with classes taken by the Authorised Purchaser. PLD’s books may be photocopied up to 10% per year for use only by the Authorised Purchaser. The Authorised Purchaser is defined as the original purchaser of the PLD materials.
eBooks: PLD’s eBooks may only be used by the Authorised Purchaser, and the Authorised Purchaser’s students, and only in conjunction with classes taken by the Authorised Purchaser. The Authorised Purchaser is defined as the original purchaser of the PLD eBook. Under the ‘Statutory Educational License’ the authorised purchaser can:
- View the eBook as a whole or in part
- Copy the eBook to their personal drive or locally on their device
- Display the eBook on your Interactive Whiteboard, projector or smart TV, for the purpose of teaching the students in their own classroom
- Photocopy or print up to 10% of the eBook per year, for use with the students in their classroom(s).
School Licences: A School Licence is a multi-user subscription to a PLD resource, such as a book or program, in a digital and printable format that is accessible via the ‘My Subscription’ section of the PLD website. A School Licence is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase and can be used by an unlimited number of teachers within a school. When bought under a School Licence:
- Resources are accessible in digital, flipbook format, which teachers can access from anywhere, at any time, on any device via the PLD website.
- The resources can be used by any amount of teachers in that school.
- Multiple teachers can access the resources simultaneously.
- The resource is available to print, subject to the standard 10% per year limitation as per Australian Copyright law.
- Updated versions of resources will be automatically accessible to users with a current licence for free, ensuring all users have access to the latest versions of resources.
- Resources are stored centrally and accessed via a secure login account on the PLD website. Thus, all currently subscription resources are accessible in the one convenient place, making resources extremely easy to find. Moreso, the school license offering eradicates the frustration of lost or misplaced resources and programs which happens often with hardback books.
Additional information can be accessed via the following links:Books: https://support.pld-literacy.org/en-au/article/plds-printed-electronic-materials-how-can-they-be-used-can-i-share-them-with-a-friendcolleague-9lk4y/
PLD’s Copyright Policy: https://support.pld-literacy.org/en-au/article/copyright-and-terms-of-use-of-pld-literacy-15tkcer/