This download outlines how PLD programs link to the ACARA National Curriculum year level content descriptions.
First Writing Activities (Subscription)
This is a PLD School License resource
By purchasing this license, this program will be accessible as a digital flipbook that will be stored in your secure account on the PLD website. The program will be accessible as a digital flipbook that teachers can access on any device for as long as the license is active. A School Licence is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase and can be shared with all staff employed at the school.
We highly recommend that either the Principal, Deputy Principal or a member of the admin team purchase the School Licence in order to manage the account and its users. For more information, visit our School Licence FAQ.
The development of writing is based on a student’s oral language ability. Students first need to hear models of well-constructed stories, news and sentences. They then need to be able to organise their language, sequence their ideas and link elements together to tell a story before it can be expected that they develop formal writing skills. At this early stage of writing development, it is accepted that a student’s oral language ability will exceed their writing ability. It is therefore expected that a student’s writing may be more limited than what they produce orally. This program incorporates opportunities for students to hear and experience various written forms followed by oral rehearsal before commencing the written task. Pictorial and/or visual support has also been incorporated to support each of the text structures included in the resource.
First Writing Activities contains many genres including:
- Writing Words and Sentences – Label and Write, Simple Sentence and Building Sentence Tasks
- Writing Dictated Sentences – Writing a Dictated Sentence, Writing 2 – 3 Dictated Sentences and Writing 3 Connected Dictated Sentences
- Witten News – Object-Based, Activity Re-Tells and Event-Based News Tasks
- Story Retelling – Story Retell and Extension Tasks
- Generating Narrative from Picture Talks including Extension Activities
- Early Reports
- Personal Journals
For the junior primary years, First Writing Activities features:
- Designed by speech pathologists for students in the junior primary.
- A large range of writing genres are designed to move students from ‘role-play’ writing into early phonetic writing and finally into writing with emerging conventional spelling.
- Short pictorially supported writing tasks that involve an adult providing an oral model, along with opportunities for students to orally rehearse the sentence(s).
- Three levels of templates are designed to cater for the range evident in junior primary classes (i.e. the delayed, age appropriate and advanced students).
- Literacy, language and motor assessment points at the base of each template.
This resource is mentioned in the Foundation Teaching Sequence Manual on page 9 & 10.
Copyright: PLD printed materials belong solely to the authorised purchaser and may not be shared with colleagues, parents or anyone else. PLD printed materials can not be uploaded to school servers, intranets or online platforms. A quick FAQ on how you can and can't use PLD printed materials can be found HERE.
Copyright: For copyright purposes, every page of the PLD eBooks will be stamped with the name & email address provided by the purchaser at the time of order. PLD ebooks belong solely to the purchaser and may not be shared with colleagues, parents or anyone else. PLD eBooks can not be uploaded to school servers, intranets or online platforms. Schools wishing to license PLD eBooks can contact us HERE.