This download outlines how PLD programs link to the ACARA National Curriculum year level content descriptions.
Comprehension Questions for 5 Year Olds (Subscription)
This is a PLD School License resource
By purchasing this license, this program will be accessible as a digital flipbook that will be stored in your secure account on the PLD website. The program will be accessible as a digital flipbook that teachers can access on any device for as long as the license is active. A School Licence is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase and can be shared with all staff employed at the school.
We highly recommend that either the Principal, Deputy Principal or a member of the admin team purchase the School Licence in order to manage the account and its users. For more information, visit our School Licence FAQ.
The aim of Comprehension Questions for 5-Year-Olds is to train parents and teachers to ask developmentally appropriate questions and to evaluate the quality of a child’s oral answer. If an insufficient answer is provided by a child, there are examples of how to assist the child to answer the question specifically with sufficient information. From 5 years of age, students should love engaging with their peers and adults. Therefore, the ability to understand questions is critical for participation in social interactions and success across all curriculum areas. Comprehension Questions for 5 Year Olds has been developed as an essential resource for Oral Language Development. At this age, questions require students to predict, include, consider possible outcomes, and explain how and why. For example: How else could this have been used? Why can’t we? Why did that happen? What would you use…?
Designed by Speech Pathologists for teachers and parents for use in schools, daycare and in the home this program provides 5 year olds with:
- Lists of developmentally appropriate picture books and comprehension questions.
Samples of 5 year old age-appropriate answers and samples of inadequate 5 year old answers.
- Techniques and strategies to implement when a child provides an inadequate answer.
- An instruction booklet that outlines how the resource can be presented to a whole class, small groups or individual home setting.
- Each card reminds the importance of repeated reading of picture books and outlines a collection of questions to be asked on day 1, then further questions to be asked on days 2, 3 and 4.
- 42 double sided picture book cards that model appropriate questions and responses for the books listed in Recommended Books For 5 Year Olds such as ‘A Lion In The Night’, ‘Bear Hunt’, ‘The Gruffalo’, ‘The Very Hungry Caterpillar’, ‘A Sausages Went For A Walk’.
- The questions focus primarily upon Blank (level 3 and 4 questions).
- Two easy to administer progress checks; are included, to check on the acquisition of comprehension questioning ability.
The other programs within the range include:
This publication is mentioned within the ‘Whole School Literacy Strategy’ booklet on page 13.
Copyright: PLD printed materials belong solely to the authorised purchaser and may not be shared with colleagues, parents or anyone else. PLD printed materials can not be uploaded to school servers, intranets or online platforms. A quick FAQ on how you can and can't use PLD printed materials can be found HERE.
Copyright: For copyright purposes, every page of the PLD eBooks will be stamped with the name & email address provided by the purchaser at the time of order. PLD ebooks belong solely to the purchaser and may not be shared with colleagues, parents or anyone else. PLD eBooks can not be uploaded to school servers, intranets or online platforms. Schools wishing to license PLD eBooks can contact us HERE.