This download outlines how PLD programs link to the ACARA National Curriculum year level content descriptions.
Alphabet Letter Sounds (Subscription)
This is a PLD School License resource
By purchasing this license, this program will be accessible as a digital flipbook that will be stored in your secure account on the PLD website. The program will be accessible as a digital flipbook that teachers can access on any device for as long as the license is active. A School Licence is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase and can be shared with all staff employed at the school.
We highly recommend that either the Principal, Deputy Principal or a member of the admin team purchase the School Licence in order to manage the account and its users. For more information, visit our School Licence FAQ.
Repeated targeted games and tasks to consolidate alphabet sound knowledge
Children require knowledge of the alphabet in order to learn to read, spell and write. Designed by Speech Pathologists and Occupational Therapists, Alphabet sound knowledge for 4 to 6 Year Olds is the key to early literacy learning, rather than letter naming.
- In order to read the word ‘dog’ a child must recognise each letter symbol and convert each symbol into the correct sound ‘d’, ‘oh’, ‘g’ and then the child must blend the sounds together (phonemic blending ability).
- In order to spell the basic word ‘cup’ a child must first ‘sound-out’ (or phonemically segment) ‘c’, ‘u’, ‘p’ and then the child must recall and apply in the correct order the alphabet symbols.
As these examples illustrate, alphabetic letter naming does not help a child to blend nor segment the sounds in words. It is their knowledge of the alphabet sounds which allows them to read and spell the words. This resource, therefore, focuses on alphabet sounds for early literacy learners. The recommended order of presentation is:
- Group 1: s, p, n, i, a, t
- Group 2: m, r, h, e, d, c
- Group 3: f, l, g, o, u b
- Group 4: w, j, v, k, z, y, q, x
The resource provides multiple opportunities to rehearse the recognition, application and letter formation of the alphabet sounds.
- Instruction manual (156 pages)
- Games and worksheets
- Alphabet sound knowledge checks
- Screening formats to track student performance on letter-sound recognition and letter formation.
Copyright: PLD printed materials belong solely to the authorised purchaser and may not be shared with colleagues, parents or anyone else. PLD printed materials can not be uploaded to school servers, intranets or online platforms. A quick FAQ on how you can and can't use PLD printed materials can be found HERE.
Copyright: For copyright purposes, every page of the PLD eBooks will be stamped with the name & email address provided by the purchaser at the time of order. PLD ebooks belong solely to the purchaser and may not be shared with colleagues, parents or anyone else. PLD eBooks can not be uploaded to school servers, intranets or online platforms. Schools wishing to license PLD eBooks can contact us HERE.