Queensland SPELD Seminars
PLD provides an Australian, evidence-based approach to Structured Synthetic Phonics (SSP) for primary school educators. Aligned with the Science of Reading, PLD’s SSP approach extends from the junior primary years through to upper primary years and thereby facilitating a whole school approach.This full-day seminar outlines the explicit instruction of phonics, decoding and spelling along with time-efficient tracking of student performance that informs the targeted teaching.
Navigate to the relevant sections using the tabs below:
This one-day Literacy and Learning, seminar designed for Years 3, 4, 5, & 6, outlines evidence-based structured synthetic phonics (SSP) teaching and student tracking. Despite the range in ability within each middle and upper primary class, the targeted SSP teaching aims to cater for the literacy outcomes of all students in middle and upper primary students. This seminar provides a scope and sequence that is practical, realistic and time-efficient to implement and will cater for advanced, average and delayed students.
Recommended for staff working within Years 3, 4, 5, & 6.
The presentation outlines:
- A non-standardised spelling placement test in order to determine the specific range within the class.
- How to allocate a proportion of the literacy block to the explicit instruction of spelling and decoding ‘word attack’ skills and also how to facilitate the transference of these spelling words (and ever-increasing sophisticated vocabulary concepts) into writing.
- A synthetic phonics approach for the students operating at a junior primary level.
- For the stronger students, a phonic-based approach that focuses upon word meanings and opportunities to transfer concepts into writing.
- Oral language instruction and how to facilitate students’ ability to speak in complex grammatically correct sentences.
- As narrative programs have been associated with increasing comprehension and written expression ability, narrative retelling and narrative generation processes are also outlined.
Each attendee will receive a complimentary copy of PLD’s scope and sequence for Preparatory to Year 6. This is PLD’s best-selling resource ‘Phonic and Sight Word Sequence‘ and is valued at over $70.00. This resource is central to establishing a whole school approach and consistency across year levels and across classrooms. It provides phonic concepts for Reception to Year 6 along with phonemic (and phonological awareness) skills, spelling rules, spelling words, high-frequency words, placement tests, term reviews, guidelines for explicit teaching, and screening options which can then be plotted onto PLD tracking sheets. The Phonic and Sight Word Sequence book can be viewed in full online by clicking on the link and then the cover.
Please click on the following links to reserve your ticket.
Click on the following buttons to view other seminars in Queensland: