A Phonemic Awareness Program Preparing Children for Reading
A phonemic awareness (onset and rime) blending program, designed to prepare children for reading.
• Phonemic awareness is strongly associated with early literacy achievement.
• Within this program, the phonemic awareness skill of blending is targeted. Blending represents an immediate precursor to decoding ability.
• The colour card sets form the basis of short explicit instruction sessions.
• The scripted instructions provide clear guidelines on how to effectively teach blending.
• When this program is used in conjunction with screening (within the final page of the booklet) this program forms a significant component in a school’s preventative/early intervention strategy.
Related Blog Posts
Stay up to date with the latest news, discussions
and views from the PLD Literacy team.